Can I sue for a security deposit?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for a security deposit?

My wife and I moved out of an apartment recently we paid $850 in a security deposit. In the signed lease it states that there is a non refundable $150 cleaning portion of that deposit. I got the letter back from the landlords and we received $235 looking at the statement of reasoning is $150 for carpet cleaning, floor cleaning, wipe down floors floor boards, fans, and light fixtures; $100 for clean fridge, stove, fan, cabinets, sink; $30 to replace stove pans; $75 for bathroom cleaning; $60 for windows and blinds and $200 for sand and paint patching of the walls you did. Do I have a case that would be beneficial to go to small claims for?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I think what you are trying to say here is that you were double charged, correct?  "cleaning" fee should have been for everything.  WHat you have to figure out is what your state law will also allow (easy enough to google it on line).  But I think that you should give it a shot.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption