Can I sue an unlicensed beautician?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue an unlicensed beautician?

The hairstylist baday damaged my hair leaving me with an infection and several knots all around my head. I am and was in pain for over a week.

Asked on April 17, 2015 under Personal Injury, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the unlicensed beautician for negligence.  

Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable beautician would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

Negligence is also established in this case by violation of a statute (the beautician being unlicensed).

When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of any wage loss.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) will be compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, and compensation for wage loss.

Your lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption