CanI sue a law firm that was supposed to help me get a loan modification on my home but lied to me from the beginning?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue a law firm that was supposed to help me get a loan modification on my home but lied to me from the beginning?

I contracted a law firm to help me get a loan modification. They knew I was a year behind on my mortgage and they reviewed my file and said I that would get one. They told me the best case I would get 2% interest and worst case 3% interest, so I agreed. They told me the process would take 6 months and I was charged $4,000 in 6 payments during those 6 months. Then at the end of the 6 months they said that I was denied, giving me nothing but excuses.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under General Practice, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the law firm for misrepresentation to recover your funds.  It would be advisable to contact both the Attorney General's office in CA and the State Bar of CA.  Both the Attorney General and the State Bar have been going after CA law firms who are paid in advance for loan modifications and do nothing.  There have been a number of CA attorneys who have been disbarred for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption