Can I sue a large company in small claims court?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a large company in small claims court?

I bought a bed from a large home furnishing company, and it did not come with a headboard. So I placed a separate order for the only headboard suggested by the company as a match. When the installers came, they were unable to get the headboard to line up sufficiently with the bed leaving the dark brackets protruding out against the white wood of the bed and headboard. After over a year of emails and phone calls, customer service refuses to respond to my complaint. What is the maximum I can sue for?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue anybody in small claims, including large companies. The maximum you can collect through a small claim in Michigan is $3000.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption