can I sue a former employer for harassment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I sue a former employer for harassment

I worked for a floral design buisness she called me on Christmas day started
jumping all over me becaus i left a light on it was enough to make me quit
.after that she started digging in my past found out that i had been arrested
years ago so then she accused me of theft it was unfounded but before she did
that she contacted my new employer made it hard for them to keep me so they did
not want to but they let me go 7 years has past now she has done it again I am
59 years old now and she has cost me another job the employer is not angry at
me but she said becaus of it she had to let me go . this woman has sent my
arrest record from when i was young to my prior employer and the most recent there anything I can do to make her stop this as she will keep on
doing this for as long as she can get away with it.
thank you and look forward to hearing from you
Sandi Freeman

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the former employer is lying about you--telling new employers or other persons factually untrue statements about you--you could sue her for defamation for the reputational and economic damage you suffered. But only untrue factual statements are defamation: people may pass on or report to others true facts, including an arrest record, to other people, and you have no right to stop her from relating true facts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption