Can I sue a former employer for injuries suffered years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a former employer for injuries suffered years ago?

I worked for a major employer about 25 years ago. My job made me pull heavy carts all day long and now for the last 8 years or so I’m having knee pain. Enough pain to where I can’t

stand up all day to do a job because of the pain. The carts I pulled were not powered and I was the young buck so I got all the heavy loads. Just wondering if I have any grounds to sue my former employer.

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Personal Injury, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue: in your state, the "statute of limitations" or time within which you must sue, for a personal injury like this is only three years, with the clock starting from when you were injured. Sometimes, the courts will let you start the clock from when you discovered the injury, if for some reason, it could not be discovered earlier. But whether it's 25 years (when your worked for them) or eight years (when you discovered the knee pain), too much time has passed for a lawsuit: once the statute of limitations has expired, you may no longer take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption