Can I sue a company 10 years after a serious brain injury?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a company 10 years after a serious brain injury?

I seriously fractured my skull and damaged my brain at 12 years old in an accident

that occured at a church. Since, I have suffered a huge hit in massive loss of

joy in life and have had to go through much rehabilitation, counseling and have

costed my family a lot of money. I have been institutionalized as well and life

since this accident has been very difficult for me , Im not one to try to look

for ways to get money out of people but I do have countless medical documents to

back this up.. do I have a case?

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The "statute of limitations" is how long you have to file a suit; a lawsuit must be filed within the statutory time period. If it is not, it will be dismissed--you cannot sue after the time period has expired. Unfortunately, in your state, the statute of limitations for perosnal injury is only 4 years, so it would be too late to file a lawsuit, based on what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption