Can I sue a car dealrship for selling me a car that caused me to wreck?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a car dealrship for selling me a car that caused me to wreck?

I was driving on the highway the speed limit and suddenly my front driver’s side blew out and caused me to wreck my car. I haven’t had this car for even 30 days yet.

Asked on June 26, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You *may* be able to sue the dealer and/or the manufacturer IF you can show that the window blew out because it was defective, or because it had been visibly damaged (and so compromised) but the dealer sold it to you anyway. You have to prove there was something wrong with the window, and that's why it blew out--if the blowing out had nothing to do with something the manufacture or dealer did wrong (but was, say, due to a rock or pebble hitting it, or you hitting a bump at high speed), they are not liable. So the first step is to understand *why* this occured; then you can tell if you have a case. You should speak to some accident reconstuction or similar expert who can determine what likely happened.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption