Can I sue a buyer for pulling out of a signed purchase agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a buyer for pulling out of a signed purchase agreement?

I signed a purchase agreement that had a stipulation that I’d be out of the house by
3/15 which I was and then the buyer pulled out of the agreement stating that I left
too many items behind in the home. Tried to resolve the issue, but he just wanted
out of the agreement, can I sue? The house is back on the market with no one
living in the home.

Asked on April 4, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can: the purchase agreement is a contract; if you complied with your obligations under the agreement, then the buyer had to comply with his or her obligations, too. Since the buyer did not, you could sue for "breach of contract." You can sue for monetary compensation: for the losses or costs you can prove you incur due to the breach and delay in sale (e.g. carrying costs, until it can be re-sold; new marketing or sales costs; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption