Can I sue regarding a surgery that I was not fully informed about?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue regarding a surgery that I was not fully informed about?

I had a hysterectomy as a cure for endometriosis I was told it was total with nothing remaining but the left over 2 years later at work I was hit with extreme sharp pain that almost made me pass out. I went to the emergency room after taking a urine and blood pregnancy test and ultrasound and transvaginal. I was told it was a ruptured cyst. When asked why they did pregnancy tests when

record of my hysterectomy should be on file, I was told to see my gyno. It turns

out that he left my left tube and ovary and they thought it was an ectopic

pregnancy. When I asked the doctor he couldn’t remember what he took out. His files showed I had both ovaries. He never retested just changed his records to reflect what I told him. The operative report shows only right side was removed. Since than I have been in pain and all he’s done is suggest more surgery and pain pills; it’s been 2 months. I look about 3 months

pregnant with symptoms and he’s doing nothing. Do I have a suit?

Asked on August 1, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You seem to have grounds for a malpractice case, since at least one of the following occured--
1) The doctor did not inform you as to what surgery was being done, and so did not get your consent; or
2) The doctor deliberately did not do the surgery you agreed to; or
3) The doctor carelessly failed to complete the surgery or make sure he had removed everything.
Any of the above would be malpractice (provision of medical care that does not meet accepted standards for care). It would be worth your while to consult with a medical malpractice lawyer; many such attorneys provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a claim, and you could confirm that prior to making the appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption