Can I submit my N-400 form while I’m abroad if I’m not a solider or working for US company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I submit my N-400 form while I’m abroad if I’m not a solider or working for US company?

I’m applying for citizenship and am currently outside the country. Do I need to be in the US

3 months immediately prior to filing or is it that as long as I’m claiming residencey to the

place I was in prior to my work abroad for over 3 months would be suffice? I have never been abroad for over 6 months. I lived home in the US for over 5 years. However, I currently have a temp job outside the US, not a US company, for 4 months.

Asked on April 21, 2016 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to be in the US in order to be eligible to apply for naturalization.  You cannot apply from abroad.  Once you reenter the US you will be able to apply based on the place of residence where you reside and where you have resided prior to going overseas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption