Can I stop my stepson from moving

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I stop my stepson from moving

My husband and I have been married for 9 years. We rent our home and the light and water bills are in my name only. We have a month-to-month lease which is just verbal. My stepson, age 21, has been kicked out of his mother’s house for several reasons and now wants to move in with us. He wants to move a bunch of

Asked on February 15, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You and your husband together could refuse to let him move in at all, or let him move in subject to certain restrictions (e.g. "junk"). But if your husband is also a tenant along with you--which he almost certainly is when there is just an oral (that is the correct term; not "verbal") lease, since that lease would be unwritten understanding among the landlord and all the people, including your husband, leasing the home, according to which those people lease the home--then he has the right to let your stepson move in, including moving in with his junk. When there are two tenants, either one has the legal right to let other people live in the space with them, use the space, store belongings at the space. So to keep the junk out, you and your husband will have to present a united front.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption