Can I still sue someone without knowing much information about them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still sue someone without knowing much information about them?

I gave permission to someone to drive my car while I was at work. He rear ended someone else causing a wreck and having my car in the shop He stated that he was going to pay for it but the next day he vanishes. I have full coverage insurance and I didn’t have to pay my deductible but I’m paying for my rental. Although I didn’t know to add it before but I shouldn’t have to pay for it out of my pockets. I believe he should be paying me for my rental. All the information I have about him is his first and last name, his sister address, and previous employer How can I get him served properly? I’ve had this rental car since October 22nd and it’s December 1st

Asked on December 1, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can have a process server do a skip trace to locate the person.
Most likely, the skip trace will succeed in locating the person.
However, if the skip trace is unsuccessful, an alternative is to serve the defendant by publication.  This is running a notice of your lawsuit in the legal notices section of a newspaper for a period of time.  The court clerk can tell you how long the notice must run for effective service of process by publication.  It is still effective service of process even if the defendant never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption