Can I still press charges for something that happened to me 5 years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still press charges for something that happened to me 5 years ago?

Five years ago, I was a freshman in college and was raped by someone I thought was a friend. I never said anything and have dealt with PTSD/Depression/Anxiety and still have problems to this day. I know I don’t have any physical evidence because I didn’t have a rape kit done. I just recently told my family last fall and a couple weeks ago about this as well as been in counseling. I have been going back and forth and super torn about pressing charges. I don’t want to go to court and testify but I know that it probably will be inevitable depending on if they think it should be taken to court. Is there any point of me doing this? I would like to for my healing and closure.

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Vermont


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can still file a charge of rape because Vermont has a six year statute of limitations.  This means that the charge of rape must be filed before six years have elapsed since the incident.
If the statute of limitations tolls (expires), you will have lost your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption