Can I still get into trouble after the act for a traffic incident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still get into trouble after the act for a traffic incident?

I was driving and the speed limit was 25 mph. The lady in front of me was going 15 mph and she turned her signal on to turn right, so I went around her not realizing it was a no passing zone. I’m not from this neighborhood and she had yanked the wheel over to follow me and took a picture of my license plate. Could I still get in trouble?

Asked on April 24, 2019 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could: there is no law that a ticket must be issued on the spot. She can send the photo to the police and describe what happened, and IF the police believe her and IF they think this matter important enough (i.e. they want to bother with it), you can be ticketed. It is however unlikely that they will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption