Can I still be sued or held responsible for the remaining balance on a claim ifan insurer agrees toa settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still be sued or held responsible for the remaining balance on a claim ifan insurer agrees toa settlement?

I was recently in a car accident which was my fault. Now I am receiving letters from the other driver’s insurance company saying that my insurance company has offered them a settlement and they are asking me for the rest of the damages. The letter says that they will sue me if I don’t pay the balance that is not covered in the settlement. Can I still be sued or held responsible for the remaining balance if they agree to the settlement?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is very possible that your insurance carrier coul offer the full limits of your insurance policy but still not resolve all claims against you resulting from the automobile accident that you were in. Given the possible conflict if your insurance carrier offers to settle for your full policy of insurance where the action against you is not resolved completely, you should ask your attorney and claims representative to appoint you independent counsel concerning this lawsuit given this apparent conflict.

If the plaintiff has an underinsured policy (coverage if the party causing damages does not have enough insurance for the injury) potentially his or her policy could pick up the amount that is wanted from you to make up the difference between the demand and the amount of your insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption