Can I simply add 2 people to my the title of my property with a quit claim deed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I simply add 2 people to my the title of my property with a quit claim deed?

I bought a bank foreclosed property that needed a complete rehab. I got a couple

to do it and invest in it and now I want to add them to the deed for there sweat

equity and money they spent on the rehab. They are living there now and I want

to add them to the deed and then the 3 of us get a mortgage on the property

to pull our monies out for our needs. Is there any problem with the legality of this?

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can add them to the deed, but need to do so by deeding from you to you, "John," and "Jane": you want to create a situation where you each have a equal ownership interests in the whole property, and you do that by a simultaneous transfer to *everyone*, including yourself, who will end up an owner. You can do what you want; and a quitclaim deed is one possible way to do it. With a quitclaim, you would do as suggested: since in a quitclaim, you give up your interests in the property (you "quit" your "claims" to the property is one way to remember how it works), you would give up all your current sole claim to or interest in the property to you, John, and Jane, who would then jointly own the real estate together.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption