Can I settle out of court if I was the victimof a hitand run?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I settle out of court if I was the victimof a hitand run?

I was working when a witness informed me that my car was hit and that they had the license plate number. I contacted the police and they found the suspect. Is there a way that I can settle out of court even though the cop issued a court date?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Accident Law, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are two separate cases here; a criminal case and a civil case.  The court date issued by the cop is for the criminal case for hit and run.  That won't be settled out of court.

The civil case (lawsuit) is your claim for property damage to your vehicle.  This civil case could be settled out of court.  You should file a claim for property damage with the other driver's insurance carrier.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking) would be the cost of repairs to your car and rental car costs, if you need a rental car while your car is being repaired.  The insurance company has a maximum per day that it will pay for a rental car.  They won't pay the collision damage waiver for the rental car which you don't need if you have insurance.  If the other driver does not have insurance, you can file your property damage claim with your auto insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage.  If the other driver does not have insurance and you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, you will need to sue the other driver for negligence to recover your property damage and rental car cost if applicable.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by having the car repaired at a place whose charges are comparable to other auto body shops in the area.  If you were to select the most expensive auto body shop you could find, your damages would be reduced accordingly.  If you do get a rental car, you will need to mitigate damages by selecting a reasonable rental car rate.  If you were to select the most expensive rental car you could find, your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption