Can I serve jail time in lieu of fines?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I serve jail time in lieu of fines?

I just received my second offense of driving under the influence. I have not yet had my court date but am well aware that the fines will be astronomical. I’m also aware that I will receive a mandatory jail sentence. My question is, can I serve additional time in lieu of paying those fines which I will incur?

Asked on August 25, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can serve additional time in jail in lieu of the additional fines that will be assessed against you for your second driving under the influence offense if convicted is something the sentencing judge will take under consideration under mandated set sentencing guidelines for any convicted offense under California law.

Some courts in California do allow work programs for people convicted of certain offenses where instead of coming out of pocket for the fines, the person who either plead to an offense or was convicted does "work detail" for a county program. This option depends upon whether or not the county where you have been charged with this offense has such a program and if so, whether or not the sentencing judge will allow you do do the requested work for the county in lieu of coming up with money out of your own pocket.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption