Can I send the bill for getting the mailbox lock changed to my ex-roommate, who failed to return the old mail key?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I send the bill for getting the mailbox lock changed to my ex-roommate, who failed to return the old mail key?

My ex-roommate had until the 31st of last month to return the mailbox key. She made arrangements with me twice to return the key. However, the first time, she showed up and left before I got home from work and wouldn’t leave the key outside for me. The second time she didn’t show up at all. I haven’t heard from her since, although I’ve contacted her. The USPS is charging me $25 to change the lock on the mailbox. I’m changing the lock because she’s not cooperating with returning the key and I don’t trust her to stay out of the mailbox. Do I have to sue her to pay for it or is there a simpler way?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may have to sue her for it.  You could send her a letter by certified mail advising that this fee is a result of her breach of the rental agreement and demand payment.  But if she did not even bother to return the key I doubt that she will even respond to the request for payment.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption