Can I send my ex-roommate to small claims court for failing to pay rent before moving?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I send my ex-roommate to small claims court for failing to pay rent before moving?

The account is now with collections and I cannot sign another lease while “we owe” a management company. She’ll be in Africa for 2 years and I’ll be homeless by then.

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former roommate failed to pay rent and you ended up having to pay her share of the rent, then you have a basis for bringing an action against her in small claims court. If you pay the management company what is owed and part of the payment is for your former roomate's share, then you have a basis for going to small claims court.

If the landlord is still owed money for unpaid rent by your former roommate where both of you are responsible for the amount owed, unless you actually pay the amount as an advance for your roommate, you do not have a basis for taking her to small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption