Can I seek legal action against an employer who practices disriminatory policies and takes away my pay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I seek legal action against an employer who practices disriminatory policies and takes away my pay?

I am a private contractor and am currently working for an employer who practices discriminatory policies. He also takes away my pay for hours that I have worked just because he didn’t physically see me working, And he forces me to do the duties of a position I never accepted or else he will terminate my employment. Is there any action available to me?

Asked on September 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Discrimination is illegal if it is due to a person's race, religion, age (over 40), disability, gender, nationality, etc. However, you give no specifics as to your situation. So if you have received lesser treatment due to the above factors, then that is illegal. Otherwise, not all worker's need be treated the same or even fairly unless such action violates hte terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Bottom line, in an "at will" work relationship, an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption