Can I seek compensation, etc.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I seek compensation, etc.

I was hired for a full time position to replace an employee who was on medical leave. Management ‘assumed’ he would retire and decided to fill his position.. 6 weeks later, he is released to work again and my position was terminated. I was told how sorry they were and how ‘this company does not operate like this’

I left a good job with benefits to accept this position. I now have no job, no insurance, my emotional well-being is not very good.

My life is basically ruined, I will end up living in a basement with nothing, all because I accepted a ‘full-time permanent’ position.

Is there anything I can do to at least cover my expenses while I try to find employment? I am 62 and broke at the moment.

Asked on March 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, there most likely is nothing you can do, unless you had a written employment contract guarantying your position for some period of time (e.g. for a year)--if you did, you can enforce its terms. However, without a contract, all employment is employment at will: an employer may terminate an employee, even a new hire, at any time, for any reason, such as an employee who was thought to be retiring instead returning to work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption