Can I return a car consigned to me unwillingly?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I return a car consigned to me unwillingly?

I signed a contract for a new car with a car dealership, and paid. When I came to pick up the car I found that it didn’t have some of the features that had implicitly been told me (but not specifically in writing). I did drive the car off of the lot, I feel under coercion, but I drove it only to my garage, about 1 mile from the dealership. I haven’t driven it any more than that 1 mile in the 48 hours it’s been in my garage. Can I return the car and get my money refunded, and with what possible penalties or agreements?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced in automotive law about your situation The problem that you have is that you drive the car off the lot rather than refuse to take it away with respect to the issues that you are having with it. Your other option is to return the car to the dealerhip and hope that it will cancel your contract for its purchase. However, my experience is that such most likely will not happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption