How canI resolve issues with an old DUI from another state?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI resolve issues with an old DUI from another state?

I got a DUI in CA 5 years ago. I paid the fine but never did the community service or the DUI class for the DMV. I now reside in CO and want to know if it’s possible to resolve these issues without having to return to CA.

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve your drunk driving conviction in California five plus years ago where you did not not do the required community service work or attend the required classes for the offense is to retain a California criminal defense attorney to see what the current situation is concerning your offense (ascertain any outstanding bench warrants against you for failure to complete the terms of your conviction).

Depending upon what the criminal defense attorney finds out about the status of completing the terms of your sentence, you might be able to take the required classes in Colorado as well as do the community service work in that state and not need to return to California for any future court hearings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption