can i request a new judge before the preliminary hearing?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i request a new judge before the preliminary hearing?

husband and i arrested, 1 charge is keeping a home where drugs are sold, when public defender was trying to get a bail reduction for my husband, his SSI is our only income and i can’t cash his check myself, and we’ve gotten a 60 day notice to move, the judge said and I quote ” I don’t care if they lose their house, they were selling drugs out of it, she has already convicted us in her mind, and this was only the arraignment

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It certainly sounds like something to consider.  But the request would have to be made, first, to that judge herself.  It isn't anything that any lawyer does lightly, and it isn't often granted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption