Can i request a continuance in order to find a private lawyer

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i request a continuance in order to find a private lawyer

Im out on pre trial release and
i have my initial court
appearance for possession with
intent to distribute meth and
possession of paraphanalia, and
i need a few onths to save up
for a lawyer. Will the judge
grant me the continuance?

Asked on October 4, 2018 under Criminal Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they will not continue it for "a few months to save up for a lawyer": if you are indigent (poor), you should apply for a public defender or legal aid. 
If you are in the process of hiring a lawyer and say you need an extra 2 or 3 weeks to get him/her hired and on board and up to speed on the case, that they'd likely grant. But not months to save money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption