Can I represent myself in a grand larceny Class D?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I represent myself in a grand larceny Class D?

I voluntarily surrendered in NY. Several adjournments bring us to today when the judge again suggested I get a lawyer. I told him I could not afford one and my previous counsel had bowed out. I have no priors. the ADA said they were not considering jail time. Can I represent myself? What are some possible outcomes?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have the Constitutional Right to defend yourself at the criminal proceeding and possible trial concerning the charges pending against you. However, based upon my experience, it is always best for a person who is charged with a criminal offense to have a licensed criminal defense attorney representing him or her.

If the judge is suggesting you get an attorney to defend you, you should. Possible outcomes for your conviction is jail time, a heavy fine, probation and a criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption