Can I remove my name from a debt collector?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I remove my name from a debt collector?

I sold a car to my cousin. I signed the title
and believed he was going to put the car in his
name but he didn’t he kept driving the car with
the license plate and no insurance. He got into
an accident and now my name is included in the
claim that he has to pay. He has agreed that
its his fault and has agreed to pay and that he
was supposed to put the car in his name. I
don’t want to be involved. Is there anyway my
name can be removed from the all of this?

Asked on October 15, 2019 under Accident Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't: whether your cousin should have removed your name from the car's title is irrelevant, because in fact he did not--therefore, you remained the titled owner and are liable for the car. You can sue your cousin, if he doesn't pay all the costs, for all costs he causes you to incur, but that is between you and him; since you were still on the title when the accident occured, you were, unfortunately, still the legal owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption