Can I relocate to another state with my son?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I relocate to another state with my son?

I have been living with my son’s father for 2 years. His name is on the birth certificate but he is married to another woman. My entire family is out of state. I want to know if we have no involvement with the courts or attorneys regarding this, can I leave the state and move to be with my family without having to go through all the steps here? I realize once I get there he may contest an will have to get a lawyer but can I legally leave?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The legal method is to obtain court permission to relocate.  Otherwise, you may have to explain your actions to a judge.  The best interests of the child is the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption