Can I refused to participate in a discrimination lawsuit filed against my employer?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I refused to participate in a discrimination lawsuit filed against my employer?

A former employee is suing my employer for discrimination and my employers attorney sent me a email saying they want to interview to me and other people who used to work with her. I do not want to get involved. Can I refused to participate

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Obviously, you do not need to join the lawsuit, if you do not wish to. In regards to being interviewed and the like: as long as it is simply a requrest or a letter from an attorney, you can ignore it. However, if you receive an actual subpoena to testify, you would have to--a supoena has legal effect, and can compel someon who has relevant knowledge, even if not a party to a lawsuit, to provide testimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption