Can I refuse my kids medical treatment if my ex-wife does not pay her half of the-out of pocket medical?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I refuse my kids medical treatment if my ex-wife does not pay her half of the-out of pocket medical?

My ex wife is hoarder and forces my 10 year old son to sleep in the bed with her, etc. So she causes his “emotional issues” that he only seems to have at her house. She is running him to counseling and has him on drugs that are very expensive. She refuses to pay her portion of these bills when they are due. She pays them when she feels like it and only pays what she wants. I am the guarantor so it is my credit that gets ruined by her non-payment. Can I refuse my son’s (questionable) medical treatment since I am the one paying the majority of the bills?

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


Jonathan Griffin / Griffin Law, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should have your son evaluated by another neutral medical/psychological professional and see if he/she agrees you son is being over medicated or emotionally abused. If so, you need to file an action (or a motion in the cause if there is already an existing court file) asking the court for full or primary custody and ordering your ex-wife to pay a fair share of uninsured medical expenses. (If she is already under order to do this then you should file a motion for contempt.)

As far as your creditors go, they don't care about your custody/support situation. If you are the guarantor, you are ultimately responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption