Can I reclaim my late mother’s house ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I reclaim my late mother’s house ?

When I was 17 I came to the U.S., worked and saved money, then I bought a house in Mexico.

However, due to my age my mother had put the house in her name. Years passed and I became a

U.S. citizen and my mother never gave me the house back. Recently, she died. However my youngest brother has been reciding in the home for the last few years with his family and now that my mother is gone, he is still in the house and refuses to leave along with his own son’s family that are also living there. My mother did not leave a Will therefore is there a way I can legally claim the house back as mine?

Asked on January 25, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your question indicates that the house is in Mexico. In that event,, the disposition of the house is government by Mexican law, which is different from U.S. law. You need to consult with a Mexican attorney to understand might rights or options you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption