Can I receive child support even though my husband and I aren’t legally separated?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I receive child support even though my husband and I aren’t legally separated?

We’ve been separated for 5 years and the children live with me. He pays my rent and utilities but I just want support for the 2 children.

Asked on June 10, 2011 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is unclear to me if you can file for child support in Oklahoma without filing for either divorce or legal separation, neither of which applies to you here.  Some information obtained indicates that you can do so without the legalities but I think that it would be best for you to call and find out either from your local bar association (ask to have an attorney call you back from their referral service) or maybe legal aid.  You can also call the number below to ask for an application and when it comes you can see if it is possible.  An application can sent to you in the mail by calling anInteractive Voice Response (IVR) system at 1-800-522-2922.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption