CanI put a lien on a property owned by my brother and I if he owes me money?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI put a lien on a property owned by my brother and I if he owes me money?

My brother and I own a house left to us by my mom. I have been paying the expenses on the home and her funeral expenses. He has refused to help me. Can I put a lien on the house we both own?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your brother jointly own a piece of real property where he has not been paying his fair share for its upkeep and you have done so for you and him, you have an equitable lien on the parcel and can record a lien upon it as a joint owner. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney to draw up the proper lien for you to sign and record on the parcel.

Before you do so, I suggest that you have your brother sign a promissory note for the money he owes you for the expenses you paid for that he owed. It would make things a bit easier than a recorded lien.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption