Can I prevent a farmer from farming my property and spraying pesticides on my property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I prevent a farmer from farming my property and spraying pesticides on my property?

I live on 5 acres of land that is a part of a larger piece of land that is farmed for sod. I have allowed them to continue using the land since I took owner ship of it but I have repeatedly asked for them not to use pesticides or herbicides on my property. I have a small pen with live stock and it has killed and crippled a few chickens and geese. They have continued to spray on my property and told me today that they will

Asked on October 15, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the farmer for nuisance which is an unreasonable interference with your use and enjoyment of the property. 
Damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be an appropriate remedy for loss of the animals. 
Damages are an inadequate remedy for the other issues you mentioned pertaining to nuisance because of multiple lawsuits due to the continual spraying of your property and because land is unique.
When damages are inadequate, your remedy is an injunction to stop the chemical spraying of your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption