Can I press charges against someone who attempted to rob me and damaged my property in the process?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I press charges against someone who attempted to rob me and damaged my property in the process?

My boyfriend’s ex went into my car without permission and tried to steal my backpack. The backpack had my $1300 Macbook in it, as well as credit cards and identification. She was stopped from running away but not before she opened the bag and shook everything out onto the ground. There is some external damage to

the computer. This all occurred in front of a police station with no surveillance but I do believe an officer was present.

Asked on February 15, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you describe sounds like both attempted theft and vandalism; you should be able to press charges for both. If the officer(s) you spoke to will not take it seriousy enough, try going "over their heads" to more senior officers and/or contact the prosecutor's office directly. If you have incurred costs to repair or replace the computer, you could also sue her (such as in small claims court) for those costs, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption