Can I post a reward for my ex-husbands address on-line?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I post a reward for my ex-husbands address on-line?

Can I use his name? My ex-husband owes me money for child support and has lied to the police about where he really lives. Also, he has a warrent issued for the money.

Asked on August 9, 2010 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to (though there's a risk; see below):

1) There's no law against paying for information.

2) You would need to be careful to not defame your ex-husband in the process (so not false factual statements that damage his reputation)

3) No use of the information for illegal or criminal purposes

However, where there's a risk is that if anyone contacting your husband or providing the information commits any criminal or civilly liable acts in the process--e.g. trespass, identify theft, assault, invasion of privacy--depending on how your ad was phrased, if it looks at all like you called for or  incited the act, you could end up liable for it.

Also, this is the sort of thing which tends to bring out scam agents trying to target or defraud you.

In short, while technically legal to pay for  information of this type, there is substantial possibilty for trouble. Speak with a family law or divorce attorney, or possibly a divorced women's advocacy or support group; they may know better ways to get this information. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption