Can I plead not guilty in the court for speeding?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I plead not guilty in the court for speeding?

I have been charged with a speeding ticket. I would like to know whether I can plead not guilty because I have a couple of reasons in my defense and present myself in the court?

Asked on May 29, 2019 under General Practice, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can: you always have the right to plead not guilty to traffic infractions (including speeding) and have a trial on the charge. You would appear on the indicated date, speak to the prosecutor, then, if you choose to not take any plea deal you are offered (or are not offered a deal), you would enter a plea of "not guilty" on the record, before the judge. After that, a new "return" date for a trial will be set, typically in 3 - 6 weeks. (When you plead guilty to a speeding ticket in NJ, they always set a second date for trial; you never have the trial the first day.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption