Can I permanently block a road that goes through my property?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I permanently block a road that goes through my property?

About 3 years ago my husband and I bought our house. The land survey shows that the road we live on goes through a corner of our property, leaving a small triangle on the other side of the road. That section has a blind curve, people drive on it too fast, and dust is always being kicked up and enters our homeduring the summer months when we can open our windows. According to our title paperwork, there aren’t any written or verbal agreements regarding other’s use of the property. And when looking at the county assessor’s plotting maps there isn’t anything to say that the county owns it .Neighborhood residents can get to their homes using another route.

Asked on June 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You seem to have done your paperwork as to the easement that runs over your land.  The legal terms for the matter is a road easement.  There are certain easements that are express and written in to deeds of property. But there are other types of easements known as implied or prescriptive easements.  An implied easement or prescriptive easement may arise when a use of property continues for a certain period of time. The example you give here - a neighbor has been crossing the corner of a property for years- the neighbor may have acquired a prescriptive easement to continue to cross the property in the same manner.  Seek legal help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption