Can I obtain a copy of a recordrd meeting from my former employer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I obtain a copy of a recordrd meeting from my former employer?

I am a minister and when I was fired in 2014 one of the elders recorded that meeting on his iPad. They have repeatedly denied me a copy of that recording. Do I have any legal recourse to a copy of that recording?

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get the recording is in the course of a lawsuit: only in a lawsuit can you compel the production of documentation (including recordings). If you believe you were terminated improperly and sue for that, or believe you have some other cause of action against the church, you can file a lawsuit against the church and in the lawsuit, use the legal mechanisms of "discovery" to get information and evidence from the other side and its agents or representatives (such as the elder). Unfortunately, this means you have to sue before having the recording and knowing if it supports your claim; and if don't want to sue or dont' have a viable claim against them, you will be unable to get it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption