Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If you are on parole, you may be able to move to another state. Parole rules vary by state, but generally a parole officer must approve a parolee’s request to move or travel to another state while the parolee is being supervised on parole.

Parole Requirements for Moving to Another State

Your performance while on parole and risk factors will influence whether your parole officer will approve your move to another state. After your parole officer approves the request, you must also be accepted under “courtesy supervision” in the state where you intend to move. Moving without prior authorization from your parole officer can be considered a parole violation, resulting in you being returned to prison to finish your original sentence.

Whether you want to move or travel to another state as a parolee, make sure you get permission from your parole officer. If you take a weekend jaunt to another state and then decide to move there, your parole officer may file a motion to revoke your parole if they find out that you left the state without permission. Leaving without authorization can also be a basis for denying your request to move and transfer your parole. If you are thinking about moving, work with your parole officer to develop a plan to arrange for the move.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Parolee Performance While on Parole Benefits

Your performance while on parole will strongly influence your parole officer’s decision to approve your request to move to another state. If you have complied with all of your conditions, you’ll be viewed as a better candidate for a transfer. If you’ve had issues with reporting or complying with certain conditions, you’ll be viewed as a flight risk, thereby resulting in a denial of your request. Show your parole officer as many positive factors as possible—the more the better. The parole officer will consider the reasons for the move including marriage, birth of a child, ties to family, and job opportunities.

Parole State Transfer Procedures

Assuming that your parole office approves your request to move to another state, they will then submit an application to the state where you intend to move. The parole department from the new state must be willing to accept you on “courtesy supervision.” Courtesy supervision is what the name implies. They must agree to supervise your parole as a courtesy (or favor) to the state where you received your conviction. If they refuse to accept your parole, you may not be able to move. If your request is approved, your parole officer will probably want you to sign a waiver of extradition in the event they want you to return to your original state.

Do not move until you have a written authorization in your hand and you know where to report in the new state. You do not want to have your parole tripped by any misunderstandings. Follow the written instructions. Keep in mind that even though your parole may be transferred, your conviction or sentence is not. This means that if you violate a term of your parole while in your new state, you will be returned to your old state to serve the balance of your sentence. Just because you moved to a new state does not mean that you will be allowed to serve your sentence in the new state.

Getting Help

If you have any questions about what your parole paperwork or travel permits require, consult with your parole officer or a criminal lawyer. A criminal lawyer can help you avoid any pitfalls specific to the criminal parole laws and rules in your state.