Can I move out at 16 without my parents permission?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I move out at 16 without my parents permission?

I’m a 16 year old girl and I want to move out cause my mom treats me bad an verbally abuses me and in some cases she has even physically abused me.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. Firstm you can not legally move from your parents home unless you are an emancipated minor, if your state allows same.  That means you would have to put together a plan for living, job,  health coverage, etc.  Now, is there an adult that you trust who can help you here?  What about your Dad?  Can he help in any way?  Go to an adult family member or friend that you trust and ask for guidance to file for temporary gurdianship or help you emanciapte yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption