Can I marry my first cousin when not blood related.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I marry my first cousin when not blood related.

Me and my girlfriend have been going out for 4
months. My mother married her uncle which made us
first cousins. I wanted to know if I would still
be able to marry her in the state of Ohio and if
there is any other restrictions about it.

Asked on February 8, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It does not appear that you could marry her in Ohio: OH bars all marriage between first cousins and does not appear to have an exception for cousins by marriage only. See, for example, ORC Section 3101.01.
However, it appears that roughly 1/3 of the states in the country, including CA, NY, NJ, MD, VA, FL, GA, AL, and SC, allow cousing marriage. So if you and she are serious enough, you and she could relocate to a state allowing first cousing marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption