Can I marry my domestic partner in Pennsylvania?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I marry my domestic partner in Pennsylvania?

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married at some point when we have
the funds, but until then my job offers health/dental/vision insurance to spouses
or domestic partners of their employees. If I enter into a domestic partnership,
do I have to dissolve that partnership before we can get married, or can I simply
marry my partner at that point? I am in Pennsylvania, as I’m sure that’s relevant.

Asked on November 7, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So I think that you should go and speak with an attorney that deals in this area of the law in your area of the country.  It is my understanding that Pennsylvania does not allow domestic partnerships or civil unions but only same sex marriages.  You can always get married in a civil ceremony to take advntage of the benefits at work and have a religious ceremony later.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption