Can I make the simple repairs to my home after inspection?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I make the simple repairs to my home after inspection?

My home is under contract in Delaware and had a home inspection the buyer asked for simple repairs very acceptable only states receipts and pictures on addendum. Does not specify contractor. Can I make these repairs?

Asked on February 9, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the repair. If it is something that does not require a licensed contractor to be able to pass inspection or be code compliant, you can make the repairs; if a licensed contractor (e.g. electrician or plumber) is needed for inspection or code compliance, then you have to hire one. Example from my town (in NJ): I could sand and refinish a floor, patch a wall, replace a window, or install weather striping, but if the buyer needed a light socket or electrical outlet rewired, I'd have to hire an electrician or else it would not be to local code.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption