Can I make my employer verify

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I make my employer verify

I have lived at same address 15 years, worked for same company 20 years. Building bought in October 2017, lease up May 2018. Employer refuses to verify employment, new owners say paycheck stubs, W-2 are not accurate as to current employment… having trouble looking for new place to live since employer refuses to verify paperwork stubs/w2 and current owner tells them ‘I can not verify accuracy of tenant statements

Do I have any recourse of action or will I be homeless come June 2018?

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You'll have to find somewhere else to rent if this landlord requires an employment verification but your employer will not provide it: there is no law requiring an employer to provide employment verification for either current or former employees. You can ask (as you have) for verification, but the employer does not need to provide it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption