Can I make a claim for half of the fire insuranceproceeds paid to my ex-husbandon ato a double-wide that I am co-owner of?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I make a claim for half of the fire insuranceproceeds paid to my ex-husbandon ato a double-wide that I am co-owner of?

My name is on the property of a double-wide with my ex-husband. The home was destroyed by fire a few months ago and he has received the insurance money. He never notified me and I just recently learned about the fire. Can I make him settle with me for half the money?

Asked on January 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The question that keeps popping in to my mind is why is your name still on the trailer after the divorce?  What has to be read and understood before any guidance can be had here is the settlement of your divorce.  Who got the trailer in the divorce?  Was he awarded the trailer? Were you supposed to execute any documents to transfer the title to your husband? If all that was left here was some paperwork but you had already agreed to give up your legal rights to the trailer and he has been paying it off and the insurance then although you appear to have a right on paper to half the proceeds, delving deeper in to the matter it appears that you do not. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption