Can I live in Toronto, Canada and work in New York, USA?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I live in Toronto, Canada and work in New York, USA?

I recently relocated from the US to Canada. I have an Indian passport. I had an
H1-B visa which I used for 1 year before leaving. If I want to work for my old
employer who doesn’t have an entity in Canada, can I do so while living in
Canada? Would the scenario change if I had permanent residence or citizenship
in Canada?


Asked on November 2, 2016 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It does not matter where you reside, but in order to be eligible to work in the US you must have proper employment authorization such as H-1B.  If you do not have that, you cannot legally work in the US if you are not already a permanent resident of the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption