Can I legally request my personal phone records from a previous employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally request my personal phone records from a previous employer?

I used to work for a company and one of my benefits was that my personal cell
phone was on the ‘company plan’ I left that office a few months ago not on the
greatest terms and now need access to phone calls I made while on their plan 6
months ago for a totally personal non work related reason. Do I have any legal
right to request these documents? Is it like the legal right I have to see my
personal file? I really need these records and don’t want to have to subpoena
them or anything if I don’t have to. I work/live in NJ.

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you have no legal right to the phone records from when you were on the company phone plan, unless you subpoena them in the course of litigation: you may have used the phone, but the records from when you were on the compnay plan belong to the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption